Taxpayer Assoc: Millions spent on 5% seat belt non-users

The Taxpayer Association was featured in a great front page Oregonian article this weekend. Turns out Oregon has a 95% seatbelt user rate, but the Federal Highway Department still pour millions into Oregon Police to combat the remaining 5%. If there is extra millions for police it should go to fight hard-core crime like meth, identity theft and gang violence. Here is what the Taxpayer Assoc. said”¦

Jason Williams, executive director of the Taxpayer Association of Oregon, a government watchdog group, is bothered by the question. “It’s the law; it’s enforced,” he said, adding that he doesn’t oppose the seat belt law. “But if the feds are going to be passing out tens of millions of dollars, they ought to be doing it to fight crime rather than fight citizens.”

Post to Twitter Post to Facebook Post to LinkedIn Post to Reddit

Posted by at 07:02 | Posted in Measure 37 | 7 Comments |Email This Post Email This Post |Print This Post Print This Post
  • Sybella

    I certainly agree with that. Citizens are treated as criminals for the slightest infraction while drug and meth users and yes prescription drug additcs are left alone. A young man in my community died the other day as a result of a drug overdose, leaving a wife and three month old baby. It was prescription drugs which were sold to him and even prescribed to him without benefit of a Dr. or psychiatric exam. A young woman who used to work for us is a walking zombie because counselors detemined she needed mood altering drugs. That is a crime, not wearing your seatbelt.

    Both these young people had their lives ahead of them. The government spends billions of dollars to make criminals out of smokers. What about the drugs, meth, lives ruined, minds ruined.

    I find that so much worse than the fact another person smokes.

    I don’t see not wearing a seatbelt as a crime.

    These things I just commented on are criminal when the real problems are swept under the rug while we pay big fines for not buckling up and exessive taxes because a person chooses to smoke.

    I think the problem isn’t addressed because a lot of people who are not the average bear would lose their own supplies. Come on people.

  • Jerry

    Plus, it is much easier to go after seat belt vilations that it is drug violations and other serious criminal activity.
    Much easier.
    Stupid politicians. Such complete morons.

  • Wayne Brady

    This a classic problem. Resources are limited. Where do you spend them to get the maximum return. Going after the 5% who do not wear seat belts is clearly not the best use of the money available.

    • Anonymous

      Since Oregon has this surplus of money, why can’t it be used. After all I pay my taxes to get service, not to give the politicians a savings account. If Salem would use their heads, the money would go a long way, but as long as they insist on being mother,father, brother, sister and the kid next door to everybody in the state, instead of letting them stand on their own two feet, there would be plenty of money. People who stand on their own two feet are not on welfare. Instead if they are working, they send even more tax money to the state to be used to combat crime or whatever. I don’t accept the excuse, which is all it is, that resources are limited. Only by the doing of Salem is it limited.

  • Jason Williams

    It is not surplus money, it is Federal Highway money, it comes from taxpayers from states with potholes.

    • Anonymous

      Federal highway money fights crime? I thought they repaired roads. What does that have to do with the discussion?

  • Jason Williams

    The seat-belt funds come from the Federal Highway department. Taxpayers would prefer that millions be better spent on the missionof the HIghway Dept. which is roads.

Stay Tuned...

Stay up to date with the latest political news and commentary from Oregon Catalyst through daily email updates:

Prefer another subscription option? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, become a fan on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.

Twitter Facebook

No Thanks (close this box)