Stop the property tax, marriage penalty bill – SB852

By Taxpayers Association of Oregon

SB 852 is set for a vote this Thursday (5/13) in the Senate Finance and Revenue Committee (Committee agenda).

SB 852 would cost many homeowners $1,000 to $4,000 in higher property taxes. It eliminates the home mortgage interest deduction for higher income earners and for second homes. The money goes into a slush fund to distribute to people who do not have a home (but there is no safeguards that it will actually be spent that way). SB 852 is also marriage penalty tax. How so? It taxes a married couple of the same income higher than two non-married individuals living together.

The politicians are considering this massive property tax in the final weeks of the Legislative Session when bills are fast tracked so the public has limited time to respond.  Simply put, THEY DON”T WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT THEY PLAN TO RAISE YOUR PROPERTY TAXES.  After they pass SB 852 and raise property taxes on higher income and second home owners, then it will be easy for them in the future to lower the threshold to impact all property owners.

SB 852 Reads: “Disallows, for purposes of personal income taxation, mortgage interest deduction for residence other than taxpayer’s principal residence, unless taxpayer sells residence or actively markets residence for sale.”

How to stop the property tax increase SB 852

Call you lawmaker using the
Toll Free State Capitol Directory

1. Call the number above and ask to speak with your State Senator. If you don’t know who your local State Senator is, you can provide your address to the nice Capitol staff person on the phone and they will look it up for you while you are on the phone. This is what the Capitol phone line is for. They answer the phone as “Legislative Policy Office” and they are there to help you.

2. They will transfer you to your State Senator’s office. Once they answer please let them know to vote against the property tax SB 852. Always be kind, courteous, polite. You can share how high taxes hurt your family. You can share how property taxes are high already.  If no one answers, just leave a message. It helps to mention your town so the Senator’s Office know that you are their constituent who lives in their district.

Contribute online at (learn about a Charitable Tax Deduction or Political Tax Credit options to promote liberty).