By Oregon Congresswoman Lori Chavez-DeRemer,
Rep. Lori Chavez-DeRemer (OR-05) released the following statement after voting to provide Israel with $14.3 billion in emergency military assistance.
“It’s been almost a month since Hamas terrorists unleashed violence on Israel, which has now tragically resulted in thousands of injuries and deaths. As our closest ally in the Middle East, the United States must continue to do everything we can to support Israel and its right to self defense. I’ve backed several resolutions expressing our unwavering support for Israel, condemning Hamas and other terrorist organizations, and denouncing antisemitism in all its ugly forms. Today, I was proud to support much-needed security assistance for our Israeli friends – ensuring they have the resources needed to protect and defend themselves,” Chavez-DeRemer said.
Chavez-DeRemer is an original cosponsor of the Israel Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, which provides:
- $5.2 billion to fortify the Iron Dome and other defense systems;
- $4.5 billion to help secure advanced military equipment and develop critical munitions;
- $4.4 billion to replenish U.S. defense equipment;
- $200 million for the protection of U.S. personnel and evacuation of U.S. citizens; and
- Requires the Biden administration to provide written reports to Congress detailing how funding is being used to ensure accountability.
The bill passed with bipartisan support on a vote of 226 to 196.
In the aftermath of Hamas’ terrorist attacks, Chavez-DeRemer quickly expressed her strong support