by NW Spotlight
The White House sent out an email yesterday reminding people to sign up for Obamacare by the March 31st deadline, relating it to college basketball’s March Madness: “ACA Bracket: The 16 Sweetest Reasons to Get Covered – As millions of Americans scramble to fill out their March Madness brackets, we’ve got another big milestone coming up: the March 31 deadline to sign up for health insurance in 2014. If you need affordable coverage, head over to HealthCare.gov and #GetCoveredNow.”
The White House push seems to be aimed at younger “invincibles” who are needed because by paying in more than they’ll cost in health insurance claims, they’ll subsidize older and/or less healthy Americans signing up for Obamacare.
The White House provides a link where you can go to vote on your “favorite reason to get covered,” featuring a set of frenetic GIF videos:
- Women can’t be charged more than men VS Because accidents happen
- Birth control is free VS Insurance companies can’t discriminate
- No lifetime limits on coverage VS Insurance companies are accountable to you
- It will give your mom peace of mind VS Injuries can lead to huge medical bills
- Checkups could save your life VS You only live once
- You might qualify for free or low-cost coverage VS Health care should be a right, not a privilege
- You never know when you’ll take a hard foul VS It’s the smart thing to do
- Nobody’s invincible VS Being uninsured is scary
The good news is that the White House web site appears to be working, so you can at least watch the little videos.